Your browser does not support JavaScript!

California State University, Fullerton


The University participates in the California State insurance fileUniversity Risk Management Authority’s pooled group insurance programs for General Liability, Master Property, Student Travel and Athletic Injury Medical Expense coverages. These insurances, and others, are listed below under Types of Insurance Coverage.

Unless otherwise noted, please contact University Risk Management for all insurance needs and inquiries at 657-278-7346.

+Expand All

Types of Insurance Coverage 

+Expand All

General Liability

The University has insurance for bodily injuries, personal injuries and property damage for which the University is liable, either as imposed by law or contract. This CSURMA pooled insurance program also provides coverage for employment practices liability (for example, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation), errors and omissions liability and medical malpractice. The University accounts for this premium as a University expense.


Individuals covered include University employees and volunteers. Students enrolled in off-campus learning experiences and in clinical programs may also be covered as long as the students receive academic credit and the allegations arise from actions taken within the course and scope of the learning activity.

Master Property

This insurance provides coverage for “all risks,” subject to sub-limit's and exclusions, for the following perils: flood, business interruption, landscaping, demolition and increased cost of construction, accidental contamination, and bridges, tunnels and streets. This insurance does not provide earthquake coverage.

Automobile Liability

The State's Motor Vehicle Insurance Account, to which the University pays an annual premium, provides liability coverage to employees driving University vehicles on University business. When an employee drives their personal vehicle on University business, that employee’s personal automobile liability insurance provides the primary liability coverage, with the State’s Motor Vehicle Insurance providing excess coverage. Either an employee’s personal automobile liability insurance or insurance purchased/provided by a rental car company provide the primary coverage for employees who drive rented vehicles on University business.

Athletic Injury Medical Expense

Students participating in intercollegiate athletics, whether as a team member or as a prospective team member, are eligible to receive limited coverage for medical expenses related to injuries sustained while participating in regularly scheduled intercollegiate sports events and other supervised or customary activities. This self-funded insurance also provides limited coverage for travel accidents and for accidental death or dismemberment. This insurance is in excess of any other valid and collectible insurance. 

Personal Property

Departments can purchase insurance to cover losses or damages to musical instruments, fine art, personal computers, laptops, camera and video equipment, and other miscellaneous property and equipment. Students renting equipment for course projects can also purchase coverage.


The University does not require the purchase of insurance for University property. However, some departments or units may want to insure specific pieces of equipment that have a high value and a high risk of loss, would be difficult to replace or would be difficult to fund the replacement. In addition, property insurance is usually required for equipment rented or loaned to the University.


This insurance offered through CSURMA insures against all risks of direct physical loss or damage, except perils specifically excluded, which include mechanical failure, fraud, rust, corrosion, repairs, normal wear and tear, war, flood, earthquake, unexplained loss or mysterious disappearance. Certified and non-certified acts of terrorism are covered.


Please contact Risk Management at extension 4937 if you are interested in purchasing this insurance. The costs are minimal.

Student Travel

CSURMA’s Student Travel Accident Insurance covers any student enrolled at the University, including students enrolled through Extended Education, injured while traveling to or from, or participating in, an off campus, school sponsored activity. School sponsored activities are limited to activities occurring off campus that are part of a course requirement, sponsored by a University auxiliary or sponsored by a recognized student organization/club. Student-athletes traveling to and from intercollegiate athletic events held off campus are also covered.


This insurance provides limited coverage medical expenses for each student. This coverage is in excess of any other valid and collectible insurance. 

Student Professional Liability

Many students have the opportunity for internships and other practical experiences in conjunction with their studies at the University. However, CSU Trustee policy prohibits the University from assuming liabilities based on student actions or defending students for claims arising from their actions. Students are only covered under the University's general/professional liability coverage when they are acting under the University's supervision, direction and control AND performing services for or on behalf of the University. In these situations, students should be designated as a University volunteers.


Students participating in the University's nursing, teaching, counseling and athletic training programs are in almost every instance NOT covered under the University's general/professional liability coverage because they are not acting under the University's supervision, direction and control or performing services for or on behalf of the University. For this reason, students involved in nursing, training, counseling and teaching programs should purchase individual general/professional liability coverage.


Students or departments who have questions about coverage or where to purchase liability coverage should contact the Risk Management at extension 7346.

Foreign Travel Liability

For information on Foreign Travel Insurance, please go to the Foreign Travel Section.

Special Event & Vendor Liability

This insurance offered through CSURMA provides optional liability coverage for events held on-campus by an organization or individual permitted to use the campus. For example, students organizing the PASA Friendship Games have purchased this insurance. Liability coverage is also available for events held or sponsored by the University, such as Commencement and the CSUF Special Games.

CSU Student Health

Students may purchase through CSU Healthlink ( domestic health insurance, international health insurance, dental insurance and vision insurance. The University pays no premium for its students to participate in this program offered through CSURMA.

Participant Accident

This insurance provides coverage for participants in University sponsored activities such as sports camps, camping, skiing, white water rafting, fundraisers and one-time special events. This insurance is available on a per activity basis, and its cost varies depending on the coverage's and deductibles selected.

Student Orientation Liability

This program is offered through CSURMA. Student organizations seeking to rent a venue for a dance or a cultural production, as well as students seeking to use a venue for an academic project such as a film shoot, often need to provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance. Because the University’s General Liability insurance does not cover student organizations and because CSURMA’s Special Event Insurance is not available for non-University sponsored events held off campus, obtaining liability insurance has been very difficult. This insurance is available only to recognized student organizations.

Fine Arts

The University maintains insurance with Atlantic Mutual to insure its fine arts exposures created through exhibits housed in the Main Art Gallery, the Exit Gallery and the Grand Central Arts Center. The University has had two significant claims in the last two years. Actions taken to mitigate future losses include increasing written and video documentation of the condition of art work received and revising transportation procedures.

+Expand All

Request an Insurance Quote for International Travel, Special Events, Personal Property, and Collision/Comprehensive

+Expand All

Foreign Travel Liability

To obtain Foreign Travel Liability Insurance, please click on the linked below, enter your Portal login information, fill out the form, and click submit. Based on the funding source, your request will automatically be sent to the designated office for process.


In most instances, you will receive bound coverage within five (5) working days.

Request for Foreign Travel Liability Insurance 

Special Event Insurance

To obtain a quote for Special Event Insurance, please e-mail the following information to Diana Ruiz CP-700 extension 7346.

  • Date(s) and time(s) of the event
  • Location of the event
  • Description of the activities that will occur at the event
  • Name of the organization sponsoring the event
  • Estimated number of people attending/participating in the event
  • Whether alcohol is being served
  • Number of exhibitors, food vendors and/or non-food vendors that require liability insurance

In most instances, your request will be completed within five (5) working days.

Personal Property Insurance

To obtain a quote for Personal Property Insurance, please e-mail the following information to Diana Ruiz CP-700 extension 7346.


  • Description of the item(s) to be insured
  • Value of the item(s) to be insured
  • Length of time the item(s) need to be insured


In most instances, your request will be completed within ten (10) working days.

Collision and Comprehensive Coverage

To obtain a quote for collision and comprehensive coverage, please e-mail the following information to Diana Ruiz CP-700 extension 7346.


  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Vehicle Cost/Value
  • Vehicle Make/Model/Year
  • A list of authorized drivers and their Drivers’ License numbers.


In most instances, your request will be completed within ten working days..

+Expand All

Report an Automobile Accident

Those involved in any accident while driving on University business, regardless of the amount of damage or whether a University vehicle is involved, must complete and return a “Report of Vehicle Accident” (STD 270) and STD 274 within 48 hours to the Office of University Risk Management. For accidents occurring on the weekend, call University Police (657)278-2515 and University Risk Management (657)278-7346. Reporting the accident by telephone does not replace the need to complete a STD 270 and STD 274 within 48 hours. If an accident occurs off campus, obtain a police report from the local jurisdiction. University Risk Management will report to the State Office of Risk Management.


Those involved in an accident while driving on University business in a University vehicle, must also (if able) complete an “Accident Identification Card” prior to leaving the accident scene. Blank Cards should be in the glove compartment of the University vehicle.


University employees involved in an accident should not discuss the accident with anyone other than the police, their supervisor, University Counsel or the Director of University Risk Management. Do not admit fault or make any promises that the University will pay for any damages. If contacted by the other party, their attorney or their insurance company, refer them and any correspondence to the University Counsel or the Director of University Risk Management. Never give a written or recorded statement to the other party or their representatives without first consulting the University Counsel or the Director of University Risk Management.


The immediate supervisor of an individual involved in an accident should ensure that the individual involved in the accident completes and returns the STD 270 within 48 hours; complete and return the STD 270 if the employee is unable to do so; investigate the accident to determine if it could have been prevented; complete a “Supervisor’s Review of State Driver Accident Report” (STD 274) within 48 hours and forward copies of all reports to the Office of Risk Management.


The supervisor should also initiate any appropriate corrective action, whether verbal or written, and record any corrective action taken in the appropriate personnel record.

Report a Significant Property Loss

Acts such as fire, flood or vandalism that result in severe property damage should be reported as soon as possible to the Office of University Risk Management. For losses occurring on the weekend, call University Police at extension 2515.

CSU Contract Insurance Requirements

Insurance requirements for contractors can be found at the Contracts and Procurement website.

Request a Certification of Insurance or Endorsement

If you need a Certificate of Insurance or Endorsement, please go  to the Certification of Insurance site.

Insuring University Equipment Taken Off-Campus

If you take University equipment such as a laptop, iPad, and phone off campus, most of these items cannot be insured.  The campus deductible is $1000.  CSUF/IT will not repair or replace this equipment unless the cost is paid by either the department or the individual user.  


To learn how to protect and retrieve your lost or stolen property, please see review the document on How to Protect your Laptop, iPad or Phone.

+Expand All