Your browser does not support JavaScript!

California State University, Fullerton

Environmental Management

environmental management

Environmental Health and Safety provides specialized services in the area of environmental management in order to protect the environment and comply with federal, state and local regulations. Programs include air quality management, hazardous waste management, and soil and water pollution prevention and are located on the left side of this web page.

+Expand All

Obtaining a Material Safety Data Sheet

CSUF has a contract with MSDS Online.  This is an electronic database that contains nearly all chemicals that you might find in the work place.  An online tutorial is available in the upper right corner of the site.  You can also call the manufacturer of the product and they will send you a copy of the MSDS.

Recycling on Campus

It may be different in your home town, but at CSUF, all waste is collected together and separated at a central site.  The paper, cardboard, plastic, etc that's thrown into the campus trash is recycled.

Disposing of E-Waste such as printers, laptops and electronic devices

All computers, monitors, cell phones, printers, electronic equipment/cords, and appliances are disposed as E-Waste.  Roll-out computers and equipment must be recycled through IT. Call X7777. All other ewaste is handled by Physical Plant.  Call the Facilities Planning Service Center at x3494.

Disposal of hazardous waste

Submit a Hazardous Chemical Waste pickup form.  You can also call x7233 if you have any questions about your waste or email

What should I do if I see something, other than water, going into the storm drain?

It's important that nothing goes down the storm drain except rain water.  Anything else is a violation of storm water regulations.  Please notify EH&S at x7233 immediately.

Disposing of used batteries

Used batteries pose a serious hazard and should not be thrown into the regular trash.  You can send used batteries to EH&S via campus mail in a box or large envelope. 

Batteries are in a category called "Universal Waste" which includes fluorescent light tubes, projector lamps, pesticides, anti-freeze, and mercury containing equipment.  All these material should not go into the regular trash.  

If you have these waste materials or a large amount of batteries for disposal, fill out a Request for Hazardous Waste Pickup on the EH&S home page.

What do I do if my car is leaking oil or anti-freeze in the parking lot?

Call University Police at x2515.  They will call a contractor for spill cleanup.

Where can I get rid of old paint from my house?  Can I bring it to CSUF?

Many communities have hazardous waste roundups that will take used paint.  If you live in Orange County, there are several drop off points paint and other hazardous waste.   Got to the Household Hazardous Waste site for more information.

Do not bring any paint or hazardous materials to campus for disposal.

How do I get rid of used motor oil from my car? 

You cannot bring any hazardous waste to campus for disposal.  Most cities have sites throughout the community that take this waste.  You can usually find these sites on the city's web site.  Used oil is considered a household waste so you can check the Orange County Household Hazardous Waste site for more information.

+Expand All